Page 42-43     Index       Print in PDF        <<Previous page         Next page>>
    The English text below is a machine-translation of the Swedish original text above
purposes priests with the earl, who probably were an Englishmen, when Norway had received Christianity from England. It was probably an English clergyman namned Sigfrid, probably in 1008 who renamed the Swedish king Olof Skot-king (1), in Husaby wells of Västergötland. It is from these English missionaries, as they descended from the English form of loanword "soul" come. That it is Christianity, which was cause for runestones to growth in numbers, will also appear thereof, that the number of undeniably pagan runestones during 1000 is so small.
- On a runestone at Velanda in Västergötland stands: X þurui : risþi :stin : iftiR : ukmut :buta :sin : miuk :kuþan :þikn X þur: uiki X »Tyrvi raised the stone after Ogmund, her husband, a very good father of the family. Tor protects!» Carver call thus hednaguden Tor to sanctify or consecrate the stone to its protection, the invocation also exists on three stones in Denmark. On the stone of the Täng's Cemetery in Västergötland are two depictions of Thor's hammer, and they exist also in the Danish rune stones. These two Västgöta stones are very

(1) The name of skot-king comes from the Icelandic Hervarar saga skautkonungar and explained where accruing, that he was a child when his father died and the Swedes led him behind, and H. Hildebrand in Sweden hist. II, p. 73 considers unreasonable and adopt instead the name of the form skotkonunger, as in old Swedish seems to be more common than skötkonunger and explains the result from a tax orientation occurred in Svealand in Olofs time.

archaic form of m-rune, namely Î , who took over the Primitive Norse m-rune, and could therefore be assumed to come from 900s or from Christianity's early days in Västergötland; the run-loop is also simple but snake-head.
From an early time derived also Saleby-stone of Västergötland, who would be tempted to regard as pagan as it appears to contain a curse on that person who destruct the stone, which meets in the Danish rune stones without Christianity characters. 
The inscription reads: (1) + fraustin + karþi + kubl+þausi+ aftiR-þuru+ kunu+ sino +su-s + tutiR | bast + miþ+ altum+ uarpi at +rata +auki+atark | ki o + |  kunu + saR + ias haukui + | krus +[hauks +] uk +briuti. »Frösten did these memorials for Tora, his wife. 
She was Brynjulv daughter, best among men.
Let him atone for his crime and the clan-destruction increased as the cross for my wife break beats,
on the pile and break.»  
It is the stone itself, which is called the cross, perhaps after the English model, and after admission, the inscription probably originally stood on a mound. 

(1) II. Jungner, goddess Frigg and Als hd., P. 358, from which interpretation is a small difference made in the last sentence.

 Page 42-43     Index       Print in PDF        <<Previous page         Next page>>